It's already three releases after my last post about GNOME DVB Daemon. Since then I tuned the UI to make it more HIG compliant and hide device group combo boxes if there's only a single group. In addition, you can now edit the start time duration of an existing timer. Needless to say, I fixed some crashers, too.
After I released version 0.1.13 earlier this week and the Debian package got updated accordingly, I took the time to port the package to Ubuntu Karmic. I created a PPA containing the packages for Karmic. Add the PPA to your system and install gnome-dvb-client, gnome-dvb-daemon and totem-plugins-dvb-daemon.
One month after the last release, I released version 0.1.13 of GNOME DVB Daemon today. It's mainly a bug fix release which fixes a couple of problems with recordings, especially if watching and recording took place at the same time. There are only two new features: You can now sort channels either by name or by group in Totem. Channels can be grouped in gnome-control-center under Edit -> Channel lists.
I'm currently in release mode and just released GNOME DVB Daemon 0.1.12, the third release in three weeks. Those three releases include an improved DBus API, a way to assign channels to any number of groups and a lot of bug fixes. You can configure the channel groups in gnome-dvb-control from the "Edit -> Channel Lists" menu. Unfortunately, the groups are not yet displayed in Totem (coming in the next release). Currently, only the DVB Daemon plugin in Coherence makes use of it.
It hasn't been that long since the last release and I try to continue releasing more often in the future. Version 0.1.9 is mainly bug fix release. It fixes are critical bug that caused the channel list file to be corrupted (especially with DVB-S). In addition, the EPG scanner and channel scanner use their own main loop now. That should make the daemon more responsive and fixes a couple of crashes.
So far I neglected writing about this year's Google Summer of Code. This ends with this post. As last year, I'm working on GNOME DVB Daemon.
In the last couple of weeks I concentrated on the user experience, thus making setting up devices as easy as possible. I made a short screencast that shows the new assistant started by the Totem plugin.