I am pleased to announce version 2.28.4 of the Python bindings for GObject. This is a minor bugfix release of the stable 2.28 branch.
The new release is available from ftp.gnome.org: http://download.gnome.org/sources/pygobject/2.28/
What’s new since PyGObject 2.28.3?
- [gi] Don’t create variant twice (Sebastian Pölsterl)
- pygi-convert.sh: Make sure the uppercase GObject module is imported instead of the lowercase (Sebastian Pölsterl)
- [gi] Removed hack to avoid using GLib.Variant.new_variant. (Sebastian Pölsterl)
- [gi] Added additional test case for GVariant handling (Sebastian Pölsterl)
- [gi] Added support for GVariant arguments (Sebastian Pölsterl)
- Fix ABI break in old static bindings. (Steve Frécinaux)
- fetch size from an enum type (Mike Gorse)
- dsextras.py: ensure eol characters are preserved when writing template files (so \n does not become \r\n) (Dieter Verfaillie)
GObject is a object system library used by GTK+ and GStreamer. PyGObject provides a convenient wrapper for the GObject library for use in Python programs, and takes care of many of the boring details such as managing memory and type casting. When combined with PyGTK, PyORBit and gnome-python, it can be used to write full featured Gnome 2 applications.
Like the GObject library itself PyGObject is licensed under the GNU LGPL, so is suitable for use in both free software and proprietary applications. It is already in use in many applications ranging from small single purpose scripts up to large full featured applications.
PyGObject requires glib >= 2.22.4 and Python >= 2.5.1 to build. GIO bindings require glib >= 2.22.4.
The Introspection module is the next generation Python GObject library bindings. Instead of statically wrapping every GObject based library we can now dynamically accesses any of those libraries using GObject Introspection. It replaces the need for separate modules such as PyGTK, GIO and python-gnome to build a full GNOME 3.0 application. Once new functionality is added to gobject library it is instantly available as a Python API without the need for an intermediate Python module.
Introspection/Python 2 bindings requires gobject-introspection >= 0.9.5 and pycairo >=1.0.2 or py2cairo >=1.8.10 Introspection/Python 3 bindings requires gobject-introspection >= 0.9.5, pycairo >=1.8.10 and Python >= 3.1