Work has started

The last two weeks I made myself comfortable with the DVB and MPEG-TS part of GStreamer. I took code by Zaheer and refactored it. All the acronyms drive me crazy sometimes, but I understand most of them by now. It’s currently possible to scan channels, watch channels and display EPG.

This code was written in Python. I decided to port everything to Vala, because Python isn’t the best choice for a daemon and I hate all the boilerplate in GObject C. Vala makes things just so easy. I love it!

I already started porting the code to Vala. Currently, bug 530817 is keeping me from continuing the work on the scanner.

I use this as opportunity to get familiar with Bzr as well. I created a repository at http://www.gnome.org/~sebp/bzr/dvb-daemon (Vala code) and one at http://www.k-d-w.org/www/bzr/python-dvb containing the Python code. I like the fact that you can push over ftp.

Next I’m going to design the D-Bus interface for the daemon.

Avatar
Sebastian Pölsterl
Post-Doctoral Researcher

My research interests include machine learning for time-to-event analysis, non-Euclidean data, and biomedical applications.