The most noticeable change I made during the last week is that the preferences dialog is back and working featuring a new tab that shows you which modules couldn’t be loaded and why. In addition, I wrote a guide “Writing new-style modules for Deskbar-Applet” that demonstrates the changes that were made to the module and match interfaces. Please check it out and let me know if it has been helpful.
Furthermore, I hopefully got the sorting of the matches according to their priority right for now and I solved some thread issue that caused Deskbar to crash. Width and height of window as well as the width of the sidebar will be remembered now and the modules contain less bugs. Storing and loading the history now works perfectly again. But authors of modules must really pay attention to the things they do now. If they don’t, they may cause a corruption of the history file due the “great” pickle module. Finally, a lot of small bug fixes should make the experience of using Deskbar-Applet even better.
The current status of Deskbar-Applet is still unstable, but I think it’s ready for some serious testing. Therefore, people out there check out the GSOC_2007 branch of Deskbar-Applet and hit me with bug reports.
Finally, some items on my TODO list:
- Add applet right click menu
- Add embed entry
- Make ellipsize in history sidebar depend on width of the sidebar